Migration Restrictions dated March 18 – Latest News
Mazars Russia reminds you that according to the Order of the Government of Russian Federation dated 16.03.2020 No. 635-р, from March 18, 2020 the migration restrictions below are introduced
- from March 18, 2020 to May 01, 2020, entry into the territory of the Russian Federation of foreign citizens and stateless persons, including those arriving from the territory of the Republic of Belarus, as well as citizens of the Republic of Belarus, is temporarily restricted. The exception is provided only for two categories: foreign citizens and stateless persons permanently residing in the Russian Federation (i.e., having a residence permit), as well as those traveling to the Russian Federation on private visas in connection with the death of a close relative.
- since March 18, 2020, the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia and its territorial bodies have temporarily suspended the receipt of documents, processing and issuing invitations to enter Russia for education and labor activities, as well as the processing and issuing of permits to attract foreign employees and work permits, including highly qualified specialists (HQS).
- since March 18, 2020, the receipt of documents, registration and issuance of all types of visas to foreign citizens and stateless persons with the exception of ordinary private visas to foreign citizens traveling to the Russian Federation due to the death of a close relative has been suspended at diplomatic missions and consular offices of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Today, March 19, 2020, we received information that, in accordance with the protocol of the meeting of the working group of the State Council of the Russian Federation on countering the spread of new coronavirus infection caused by 2019-nCoV, dated March 17, 2020 No. 4-28-1/20, the Ministry of Internal Affairs Russia has been instructed to take the following measures:
- in relation to foreign citizens and stateless persons who arrived in the Russian Federation on the basis of visas – to extend the validity of their visas to 90 days, regardless of the purpose of entry into the Russian Federation. If the visa expires, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and its territorial bodies should consider extending the temporary stay of such foreign citizens to 90 days, followed by the issuance of transit visas for departure from the Russian Federation. The issue of extension is decided by a reasoned application from a foreign citizen, submitted in any form.
- in relation to foreign citizens who arrived in the Russian Federation in a manner that does not require a visa, including the cases in accordance with international agreements of the Russian Federation on short-term visa-free travel for certain categories of citizens – to extend the period of temporary stay up to 90 days, followed by the issuance of transit visas to leave the Russian Federation, if necessary. Renewal will be made on the basis of a motivated application from a foreign citizen to extend the period of temporary stay.
- in respect of foreign citizens legally located on the territory of the Russian Federation - to continue accepting documents, processing and issuing permits to attract and use foreign employees and work permits to foreign citizens, as well as accepting applications for a new patent without the need to travel outside Russian Federation at the end of the stipulated maximum two-year validity period of a patent.
Mazars Russia will keep you informed of all important changes - stay tuned for our updates on the website and social media.
Mazars Legal team is also ready to provide support to their clients in resolving current migration issues in this difficult situation.
Want to know more?
COVID-19 & Your Business
During this time of uncertainty and volatility, our stakeholders need a source of reliable information to help meet the challenges they face. Our office and the Group are closely monitoring the Coronavirus situation to be prepared and respond appropriately. Mazars is creating a series of useful insights written by our experts to offer advice, guidance and practical support to help business leaders to make complex decisions on a daily basis and keep their workforce and communities safe, while moving the business forward.